RYPEN is a program organized by Rotary District 9750, of which The Rotary Club of Sydney Cove is a part. RYPEN aims to provide young people aged 14 to 16 years with the opportunity to develop their leadership potential alongside their peers in a supportive environment. Rotary Clubs within District 9750 sponsor participants to RYPEN, which is held annually.
Criteria for participants
• Age 14 to 16 (before 17th birthday)
• A young adult requiring an opportunity to develop leadership potential to give confidence for future leadership positions.
• Must commit for the entire weekend of the program
• Should be interviewed to ascertain suitability
• Motivate participants
• Develop leadership skills
• Increase self-esteem
• Understand personal responsibility
• Raise self-awareness
• Build team skills
• Presentation and public speaking skills
• Develop money handling skills
• RYPENians participate in and assist with various workshop tasks, step up to be team leaders, present project team ideas and outcomes. The normal intake is about 80 teenagers.
• ROTARACTors act as “Mentors” to RYPENians, facilitating group discussions, acting as buddies and getting actively involved alongside participants. Rotaractors are required to attend a leadership day, followed by a second day specifically focusing on how to lead discussion groups and conduct debriefing following group activities. Normally ten would attend the camp.
• ROTARYians select RYPENians, meet the cost of food and accommodation for the participants and are expected to attend the Saturday performance and dinner.
Sponsoring Rotaractor / RYLArian Involvement
• Administration and organisation of the program, including marketing, contacting Rotary Clubs and guest speakers etc
• Act as “Mentors” or “Leaders” over the weekend to the young RYPENians. All participate in a training day on debriefing and leadership skills prior to the weekend.
• Sponsor 2 (or more) candidates – per club
• Ideally applicants should be unknown to each other (and opposite gender).
• Candidates should be “interviewed” (a valuable learning opportunity), and given a chance to meet / attend the Sponsor Club, and should return to speak at the club about their experience afterwards.
Sources of Candidates
• Local High Schools & youth organisations or teams (eg. Surf Life Saving Clubs, Soccer Club, PCYC, Youth Groups etc.)
Typical timing / venue
• 1 to 3 May
• Deer Park – Sutherland National Park (with a Rotary dinner to support each club’s RYPENian on Saturday 3 May)
Application Forms & Brochure
• Applications close about a month before the program is held.
• Application forms on website www.rypen9750.org.au or
• Email email@example.com
• Packs will be sent to Rotary Clubs in advance
• High School Careers Advisors will also be mailed a copy of the Brochure and Application Forms as well as the contact details for local clubs.